Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Realms of Kar'Kaish

An entirely original immersive roleplaying world.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

Number of posts : 482
Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue200 / 100200 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-21

Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Empty
PostSubject: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:01 am

I have heard something about formalizing the pantheons in the setting we're using. While this is nothing official I thought it might be helpful to nail down a couple categories of gods, elements, and magics.
If ANYTHING I say goes in direct conflict with any characters background please bring it forward (this does not mean "if I don't mention the god/element from your back story just if it openly contradicts) I'd ideally like to make a system that we can adopt or at least help n the creation of the real deal. So here it goes

ELEMENTS:
Material Elements:
Fire
Earth
Water
Wind

Metaphorical Elements:
Time
Fate
Life
Death

Metaphysical Elements:
Light
Order
Dark
Chaos
Note: Sometimes the combination of "Light" and "Order" is given the term "Good" or "Holy" however this
is a misnomer as "Good" is subjective and "Holy" merely means "favored or looked well upon by a
god"
Note: Sometimes the combination of "Dark" and "Chaos" is given the term "Evil" or "Unholy" however this
is a misnomer as "Evil" is subjective and "Unholy" merely means " not favored or looked well upon
by a god"

GODS:
Gods can be roughly grouped into 4 groups

Elemental Lords-These gods rule over a single element. While it is possible to work with this element without their
blessing true mastery over it almost always requires it. They are known to make deal and take
mortal champions. They do not require worship, drawing power from the level of dominance their
element has over the mortal plane. While the terms "good" and "evil" cannot be applied to them
they seek above all else that their element should dominate all others.
Examples: Kazekieri=Lord of Wind
The Faceless One=Lord of Chaos (In order to fit in the 4 chaotic god brothers of Doom
I went with the idea that the 4 brothers are 4 aspects of one
god, being chaotic by nature over the millenia he may be one, 4
12, several million or any number in between gods. Though to a
mortal his number seems stable.)

Unaligned Gods-These are gods who are worshiped for various things in the setting. They draw power from worship
and sacrifice. Anything can be sacrificed, either life, flesh, or just time. Diffrent things give
different amounts of power(general rule of thumb, the more the sacrificer gives up as a
percentage of all s/he has the more the god gains). These gods tend to be either weaker but
more versatile than Elemental Lords or more powerful but very limited in scope.
Example: Merial- God of commerce, roads and travelers- Merail is prayed to and can grant a
safe journey to anyone within his domain (any road anywhere he is worshipped)
so praying to Merial may mean your trading stock will go up in value, you might
travel expectedly fast, and you may have a safe journey so long as you do not
leave the road.

Unworshipped Gods-These gods are no longer worshiped but remembered (an example from RL would be Odin,
remembered but pretty much no one worships him). They slowly gain power from old sayings
and habits left over from when they were worshiped. They're pretty much belief junkies. They
will do anything to get people to believe in them as gods. They are much much weaker than
Unaligned gods or Elemental Lords but still stronger than 90% of mortals (Super powerful
mages might be more powerful but thats about it). They can be killed but within about a week
someone with the same powers, ideals, thoughts etc. and who looks very similar will show up
from somewhere. So their forms are mortal but their "souls" or as close as gods have to them
are not.

Forgotten Gods-These gods are not worshiped and not remembered. They have full access to their god-like
powers but have a limited pool from which to draw. If they run out completely then *poof*
they disappear forever. No mortal can exactly recall anything about them but usually remembers
the general idea. These gods are "mortal" in the sense that they can be killed (and stay dead)
just as easily as whatever body they inhabit (usually the same as they were envisioned by their
old worshipers) is normally killed, however they do not age. Some try and re-establish their
power-base(read church/cult) some simply live out their lives as mortals.

MAGIC

Heres where I expect the most objections.
Magic is the use of a source of mystic energy to accomplish something.
The sources of mystic energy are many and diverse but the ones we need be most concerned with are:
Mana, Elemental Blood, Ritual Energy.
Mana
Mana is a natural part of the world. It exists in everything that originates from the target world (in varying amounts).
Mana is conserved the same way energy is(because it's a type of energy, in fact most forms of magic consist of
converting mana to another type of energy. Example would be a fireball. Mana converts into Thermal energy and
matter(which is actually another kind of energy) in particular some flammable gas/liquid.)
Living creatures restore their mana by breathing in the air, which has some residual mana in it world wide. This is why it
takes some time to recharge mana, because they can only get very tiny amounts with each breath.
God given spells powers etc. are just gods channeling mana/spells THROUGH the person receiving said spells.
Spells are not 100% efficient there is almost always some mana gone to waste, indeed a mage is "ranked" not only by
how many spells he knows but by how much he increases his base "efficiency with mana"

Elemental Blood.
I have no damn clue. I don't get this and never have. Chaos take it away!

Ritual Energy
No one understands the how or why of this. However it's possible to cast magic without mana by performing certain
rituals. These usually involve long times spent chanting, circles with patterns inscribed inside them, ashes, semantic
components etc. etc. All of them involve giving something up. Be it memory, time, blood etc. It seems to function on
same basis as sacrifice to the gods. The more that is given up the greater the effect. Unlike the gods though this
counts only the total given up. The ritual itself can be seen as a very complex order form. Certain shapes and
inscribes lines and semantic components detail what spell is requested, the rest is the payment for the spell.
This is usually only used when the mana required to cast a spell normally cannot be gathered.

REMEMBER! none of this is official. It's just some ideas I was toying with and decided to suggest. I would be happy for them to become official but at the moment they are not.
Back to top Go down
XOotie

XOotie

Number of posts : 200
Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:54 am

i should point to add the wind hierachy goes wind spirit greater wind spirit elemental lord and finally elemental kings... adding up to a total of 50 orbs 24 lesser 24 greater and 2 kings...i should add this into Ursong's bio
where does lords fit it well they're the heralds and basiclly the administration since the kings have to keep the balance of wind intact
also id think fate wouldnt actually be a element considering the fact of prediction.... yeah it sorta makes it rigged
with time though it depends of the ability such as stop time for eternity or super age would be considered rigged in my book

BI good ideas
Back to top Go down
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue200 / 100200 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 am

The title is debatable but by "lord" I meant the spirit of [element] that rules over all other spirits of [element].
In this case I guess the 2 "kings" of wind would be 2 aspects of the ruling spirit. If you can work with that. If not it's going to get headachey.

Time is listed as an element because someone has a pact with the lord of time. I like the number 4 in elements (usually 2 opposites) so I put fate down as time's opposite.
Maybe "Space" would work better?
Back to top Go down
XOotie

XOotie

Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:02 am

i dont see how space can be used as a attack really.... its more of avoiding but sure ill keep in space
The material elements are all one and many. With the wind it just happens that 2 of the spirits risen to the point of like being a god as u said. However they constantly have to balance the wind in the surrounding world and battle the other material spirits. So techinally they're all part of a living spirit just some were granted more power than others

Also would lighting be counted as light? or electrity be something entirely different or merged with magnets?
Back to top Go down
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 am

It's simple to use space as an attack. You unify the space that your opponents brain is in, and the space that the center of your sun is in. In simple terms you remove his brain and replace it with explosion.

...sure why not we can call the elemental "lords" the aggregate mind of all the spirits of their element. That works too.

I think lightning would go under fire personally. Maybe a bit of chaos mixed in since lightnings path is pretty chaotic...

Light was meant to be more....healing...and lasers.
Back to top Go down
doomcowgod

doomcowgod

Number of posts : 170
Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 am

Does this mean I can finally establish that Bronkor's evil chaos lord thing is Kyeence and go on an evil rampage because his god is a total sissy?
Back to top Go down
https://rokk.darkbb.com
XOotie

XOotie

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 am

if it is approved probably....
plus i would think lasers go under fire. "rays of fire"
and lighting under light. "light bolt" i.e lighting bolt. if uve read janny wurt's the war of shadow and light ull know what im talking bout
also i would think chaos would be involving lots of hysteria and madness and curse bindings and messing with your emotions.
with space........ damn thats hella annoying lots of teleportation lots of reverse attacks lots of disappearing limbs god that would be hard..... i agree time is the counter
Back to top Go down
Aerywyn

Aerywyn

Number of posts : 352

Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:44 am

Well first... who the fuck is Kyeence?
Back to top Go down
doomcowgod

doomcowgod

Number of posts : 170
Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:48 am

He's the Chaos God of information, lies, planning, and other such things. He's like Tzeentch, but he's less of an arrogant bastard, doesn't involve magic, and is generally less rigged.
Back to top Go down
https://rokk.darkbb.com
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:54 am

laser... fire....ow.. my braaaain...
Lasers are light. Its what they are made of. If it's not made of light then it's not a laser >.<

Bronkor's god could always be an unaligned god...
Back to top Go down
Aerywyn

Aerywyn

Number of posts : 352

Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am

Actually then Doom has it pretty much knocked one of his forms on the head, however if you notice Aerywyn's alias, "Vaskiefr al' Tirudai", the Tirudai are his agents basically. Vaskiefr and Vaskiargt are two different forms of destruction, present in humanity and in nature.
Back to top Go down
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:02 am

The term "let no good deed go unpunished" comes to mind....
Back to top Go down
Crom The Conqueror

Crom The Conqueror

Number of posts : 155

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:48 am

Fix your spacing. I'm going to go finish read now but thats annoying. I.E. putting put a solid space between each section so they are more defined like this:

Wind
Fire
Earth
Water
Space
Note:
Space
Back to top Go down
Burning_Ice

Burning_Ice

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for the tip Crom. I'm ignoring because I thinks it's better to have the notes relating to those elements with those elements, but thanks anyway.
On a related note, Xootie you need to work on your grammar, I could hardly understand anything you wrote. I mean god knows I'm bad at grammar myself but come on. At least use periods where appropriate and toss in the occasional comma.
Back to top Go down
Crom The Conqueror

Crom The Conqueror

Number of posts : 155

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:45 pm

You forgot Arcane and Gods of Good.

Last edited by Crom The Conqueror on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
XOotie

XOotie

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

ill try...... hopefully lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!   Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Backdrop Stuffs for Maybeing!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Realms of Kar'Kaish :: General Purposes :: General Discussion-
Jump to: